Our vision for a better environment
Building on the Liberal Democrat track record of successfully protecting Canford Heath in Poole, we will make Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole one of the most environmentally conscious areas in the UK. We will:
- Achieve 'Plastic Free Coastline' accreditation within four years of taking control of the local authority.
- Aim for every council run park and green space to achieve the Green Flag Award.
- Promote and enhance the provision of sustainable transport across the conurbation. This will include working with local transport partners to investigate the development of a new network linking the whole conurbation, relieving congestion and protecting air quality with an innovative low or zero-carbon rapid transit system.
- Reduce waste by taking a zero tolerance approach to littering in our parks, open spaces and beaches. We will also enhance household recycling and refuse collection services, ensuring that food waste collections will be available to all.
- Oppose any extension of oil and gas extraction operations (including fracking) within or neighbouring our communities.
- Develop a policy promoting sustainable, local energy production and other environmentally friendly schemes.