Our vision for better local communities
In order to ensure that local residents play an integral part in making the everyday decisions that affect them we will:
- Build on our national policy of investing an extra £300 million on front-line policing by committing to work with local police to make our communities safer.
- Introduce local planning and licensing boards to ensure decisions are taken as close to our communities as possible.
- Allow the retention of local mayors in those communities that wish to have one.
- Support and enhance the roles of town councils, parish councils and other local bodies in those communities that wish to have them.
- Ensure that representatives of ALL political groupings have a voice in the new local authority by insisting on proportionality of representation on committees.
- Create a 'Town & Gown' forum to further enhance communication and cooperation with our universities.